Justice Oregon for Black Lives is the largest initiative in Meyer’s 38-year history, created in the wake of nearly two months of demonstrations protesting the killings of George Floyd, Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and others that have awakened a national movement to end systemic and structural racism.
Meyer’s board of trustees approved the commitment in recognition of the urgent opportunity to transform institutions, systems and narratives in Oregon, a state founded on stolen lands and explicit in its constitutional exclusion of Black people. A long-term effort, the initiative is being co-created with Black communities working to advance racial justice and equity in Oregon.
- Economic Justice
- Investing in Education
- Reimagining Public Safety
- Shifting Black Narrative through Arts + Culture
- Addressing Trauma + Healing
Increase Black ownership (i.e. businesses, homes, investments).
- Support an additional 100 Black owned businesses to achieve revenue of $1 million+ across Oregon by 2025
- Increase Black home ownership to 35% by 2025
Increase financial literacy / opportunities in Black communities.
- Identify Black and community financial institution partnerships to access capital and to provide financial literacy by 2023
Increase representation of Black educators, administrators across Oregon.
- Increase recruitment and retainment of Black teachers and administrators to 400 total by 2025 across Oregon in K-12.
Improve Black student academic, social and emotional outcomes throughout Oregon.
- Increase Black student academic performance, namely mathematics, writing and reading skills
- Increase Black student access to programs that improve their social and emotional well-being
Create a shared vision of what public safety is within the Black community.
- Develop a shared geographical public safety plan(s) for Blacks across Oregon by 2023
Increase the percentage of Black policy makers and leaders across Oregon.
- Increase Black policy makers to 2% across OR and to 6% for Portland metro by 2025
The goals and strategies in Shifting Black Narrative through the Arts + Culture is currently being designed and developed with community. If your organization has interest in requesting funding in these areas, please contact the Justice Oregon team at email@example.com.
The goals and strategies for Addressing Trauma and Healing for Black Communities is currently being designed and developed with community. If your organization has interest in requesting funding in these areas, please contact the Justice Oregon team at firstname.lastname@example.org.