Michelle J. DePass has been named as the new president and CEO of Meyer Memorial Trust. Michelle — former dean of the Milano School of International Affairs, Management and Urban Policy and Tishman Professor of Environmental Policy and Management at The New School in New York — replaced Doug Stamm, Meyer’s CEO from 2002-18, on April 30, 2018. Previously, Michelle was appointed to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by President Barack Obama, where she served as assistant administrator for International and Tribal Affairs.
Meyer received an overwhelming response to the CEO position; more than 140 candidates applied, about 50 of them from within Oregon. The pool was deeply diverse and included many types of equity perspectives and identities and leaders across private industry, public health, academia and the philanthropic and nonprofit sectors.
Roadmap to New Leadership
April 30, 2018 • Michelle begins working at Meyer as the new CEO. Doug transitions to become an advisor to his successor for up to six months.
April 28, 2018 • Read Doug's final thoughts on leadership in equity as he prepares to step away after 16 years as Meyer's CEO.
February 2018 • Michelle J. DePass is named as Meyer's next president and CEO. Doug remains Meyer's leader until April 29, 2018.
Fall/ Winter 2017 • Board sifts through 140 candidates, narrowing field and interviewing finalists.
September 2017 • CEO search closes.
August 2017 • Meyer begins national search for a new CEO.
April 2017 • Doug announces plans to leave Meyer in 2018. Here's his blog announcing his decision.
• Charles Wilhoite on Meyer Memorial Trust and transparent leadership
Oregon Business | April 27, 2018
• Obama EPA official lands at Ore. charity
E&E News | February 9, 2018
• Meyer Memorial Trust hires New School dean as CEO
The Oregonian | February 8, 2018
• Meyer Memorial Trust hires New School dean as next CEO
Portland Business Journal | February 8, 2018
• Meyer Memorial Trust, Among Oregon’s Largest Philanthropies, Names New CEO
Willamette Week | February 8, 2018
• Why salary compensation transparency can counteract equity
The 360 Group | August 10, 2017
• Chief Executive Officer
Philanthropy News Digest | August 2, 2017
• Radio interview with Doug Stamm
XRAY In The Morning | April 20, 2017
• Meyer Trust CEO to Step Down
The Chronicle of Philanthropy | April 14, 2017
• Meyer Trust's Stamm: Oregon CEOs need to be more engaged as state evolves
Portland Business Journal | April 11, 2017
• Powerful Oregon foundation chief set to leave his post
Portland Business Journal | April 10, 2017
• Meyer Memorial Trust CEO Doug Stamm will step down next year
OregonLive | April 10, 2017
• Meyer Memorial Trust Announces Leadership Transition
Philanthropy Northwest | April 10, 2017
• Doug Stamm announces leadership transition
Meyer news release | April 10, 2017
Explore Meyer’s 36 year history on our timeline.